- The trip to Machu Picchu does not necessarily have to be expensive. There are good alternatives to enjoy the Inca City without spending more.
- For example, the trip on the ‘Hydroelectric’ route is an adventurous and economical way to arrive and visit Machu Picchu.
- On average, a 2-day, 1-night visit to Machu Picchu on this alternative route costs US $ 100 if you do it taking the cheapest services.
- The trip to Machu Picchu with tour
- The trip to Machu Picchu on your own
- Entrances to Machu Picchu
- Trains to Machu Picchu
- Buses to Machu Picchu
- Tour guide in Machu Picchu
- The alternative route to Machu Picchu by Hydroelectric
- Hotels on the trip to Machu Picchu
- Restaurants on the trip to Machu Picchu
- Other expenses in Machu Picchu
The trip to Machu Picchu with tour
- There are several types of tours to Machu Picchu. Most include: entrance, transportation, hotel and tour guide.
- The trip to the Inca City in tour is a sure way to know the Wonder of the World since it has everything organized and the tourist only needs to enjoy his visit.
- However, the trip to the Inca City with a tour is not the cheapest way to visit Machu Picchu.
These are the main tours to Machu Picchu and their approximate prices:
- Tour Machu Picchu Full Day – 250 USD.
- Tour Machu Picchu 2 days – 350 USD.
- Inca Trail Tour to Machu Picchu 4 days – 550 USD.
- Tour Machu Picchu by Hydroelectric 2 days – 180 USD.
The trip to Machu Picchu on your own
- Traveling to Machu Picchu on your own means buying directly the entrance to the Inca City, the train, bus tickets, the tour guide service and booking the hotels.
- Traveling on your own involves a little prior organization: buy tickets online, book hotels in advance, the tour guide, etc.
- However, the trip to the Inca City on your own is the cheapest way to visit the Wonder of the World.
These are the main trips that can be made to Machu Picchu on their own and their approximate prices:
- Trip to Machu Picchu 1 day by train – 200 USD.
- Trip to Machu Picchu 2 days by train – 280 USD.
- Trip to Machu Picchu 2 days by Hydroelectric route – 100 USD.
Entrances to Machu Picchu
These are the 3 types of tickets to Machu Picchu and their official prices:
|OFFICIAL PRICES||Foreign||Andean Community of Nations|
|Adult||Child and University||Adult||Child and University|
|Machu Picchu Only||152 S/. (47 USD)||77 S/. (24 USD)||64 S/. (20 USD)||32 S/. (10 USD)|
|Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu||200 S/. (63 USD)||118 S/. (37 USD)||112 S/. (35 USD)||80 S/. (25 USD)|
|Machu Picchu + Mountain||200 S/. (63 USD)||118 S/. (37 USD)||112 S/. (35 USD)||80 S/. (25 USD)|
Trains to Machu Picchu
These are the train services to Machu Picchu and their approximate prices:
|Peru Rail train services||Approximate price (round trip)|
|Expedition train||126 USD|
|Vistadome train||190 USD|
|Hiram Bingham train||915 USD|
|Inca Rail train services||Approximate price (round trip)|
|Voyager train||126 USD|
|360º train||178 USD|
|First Class train||510 USD|
Buses to Machu Picchu
- Buses transport tourists from the town of Aguas Calientes to the Inca City of Machu Picchu.
- Taking buses is not mandatory as you can walk up and down (approximate distance of 9 kilometers).
- Most tourists decide to take buses to avoid fatigue and thus visit Machu Picchu with all the energy.
These are the approximate prices of the bus tickets Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu:
|Prices of bus tickets Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu|
|Type of service||Approximate price|
|Foreign adult (rise and fall)||24 USD|
|Foreign adult (rise or fall)||12 USD|
|Foreign child (rise and fall)||12 USD|
|Foreign child (rise or fall)||7 USD|
|Peruvian adult (rise and fall)||15 USD|
|Peruvian adult (rise or fall)||8 USD|
Tour guide in Machu Picchu
- The tour guide service is mandatory in Machu Picchu.
- There are several ways to get a tour guide in Machu Picchu: you can do it online or directly at the door of the Inca City.
These are the approximate prices of the tour guide service in Machu Picchu:
|Tour guide service in Machu Picchu|
|Type of service||Approximate price|
|Shared service (maximum 16 tourists)||10 USD|
|Private service (from 1 person)||70 USD|
The alternative route to Machu Picchu by Hydroelectric
- The cheapest way to get to Machu Picchu is through the alternative route by Hydroelectric.
- The trip from Cusco to Machu Picchu by this route takes approximately 8 hours.
- Due to the time it takes to get to Machu Picchu with this route, the visit must be done in 2 days.
These are the approximate prices of a 2-day visit to Machu Picchu with the route by Hydroelectric:
|Price of the trip to Machu Picchu with the route by Hydroelectric (2 days and 1 night)|
|Trip Cusco – Hydroelectric (round trip)||30 USD|
|1 night in Aguas Calientes hotel||20 USD|
|Food in Aguas Calientes||20 USD|
|Bus to Machu Picchu (round trip)||24 USD|
|Guide in Machu Picchu||10 USD|
|Entrance to Machu Picchu||47 USD|
|Final price:||151 USD|
Hotels on the trip to Machu Picchu
- Hotel services vary from backpackers to luxury hotels in 5-star service.
- In Aguas Calientes there is a camping space for ‘backpackers’ tourists. The cost is 15 Peruvian soles (5 USD). Don’t forget to bring your tent and sleeping bag.
- Next to Machu Picchu there is only 1 hotel called Sanctuary Lodge whose cost ranges between 1800 and 3000 dollars per night.
These are the approximate prices of the lodging service in Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu town).
|Type of hotels in Aguas Calientes||Approximate price|
|Camping in Aguas Calientes||15 S/. (5 USD)|
|Hotels service ‘1 star’||30 S/. (10 USD)|
|Hotels service ‘2 stars’||60 S/. (20 USD)|
|Hotels service ‘3 stars’||150 S/. (50 USD)|
|Hotels service ‘4 stars’||500 S/. (156 USD)|
|Hotels service ‘5 stars’||1800 S/. (560 USD)|
Restaurants on the trip to Machu Picchu
- During the trip to Machu Picchu, the restaurants are located in Aguas Calientes.
- There are luxurious services such as the restaurant ‘Tampu’ of the Sanctuary Lodge hotel whose buffet can cost $ 60 per person.
- There are also places where breakfast and lunch is cheap. The most economical is the famous food market where a dish can cost 8 soles (2.5 USD).
Other expenses in Machu Picchu
- In Aguas Calientes, commodity prices tend to increase compared to the city of Cusco.
- Some extra expenses in Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu can be the following:
|1 bottle of water||3 s/. (1 USD)|
|1 bottle of soda||4 s/. (1.5 USD)|
|1 beer 500 ml||10 s/. (3 USD)|
|1 plastic rain poncho||5 s/. (2 USD)|
|1 cookie||2 s/. (0.6 USD)|
|1 soap||5 s/. (2 USD)|
|Entrance to the thermal baths||20 s/. (6 USD)|
|Entrance to the waterfalls of Mandor||10 s/. (3 USD)|
Do you want to travel to Machu Picchu cheap? The cheapest way is to do it on your own through the alternative route by ‘Hydroelectric’. The first thing you should do is buy your entrance tickets to Machu Picchu online. Remember that if you want to enter the mountain Huayna Picchu you must purchase the ticket 3 months in advance.