What Machu Picchu is your next destination? You should know that the Inca Citadel receives around a million visitors a year. And that in 2017, was chosen as the best tourist attraction by the World Travel Awards. Despite these and other accolades, to know the Wonder of the World is not difficult. If you are planning to visit this incredible place takes into account the following tips. The dream trip is closer than you can imagine.
Tips before you travel
The first big step to get to know the Wonder of the World is to reserve the tickets. Once separate the day and time of the visit to Machu Picchu you can prepare everything the trip to Peru and Cusco. Are 4 types of tickets, all of which include the tour of the Inca Citadel.
- Ticket Machu Picchu Only (5000 spaces available on the day).
- Ticket Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu (400 spaces available each day).
- Ticket Machu Picchu + Mountain (800 spaces available at the day).
- Ticket Machu Picchu + Museum (Depending on availability Machu Picchu Only).
After reserving the income to the Inca Citadel, has to be separated from the train tickets. This is the route by which the majority of tourists access to the llaqta Inca. The available spaces are exhausted, almost at the same time to the tickets of admission to the Wonder of the World. That is why you should book immediately after purchasing the tickets to Machu Picchu.
The next step is to book the air tickets to Peru and then to Cusco if you want to get that way. The majority of visitors made a trip of 3, 4 or 5 days. There are those who make a whistle stop tour of only 2 days. In either case, consider the following tips for your journey:
- Verify that it takes you all the updated documents for your visit: passport, identity card, university card, etc.
- In Cusco, the weather is cold at night and warm in the day. Bring appropriate clothing: polo, sweaters, jackets, hats, etc., A rain poncho is necessary. Rainfall can occur in any part of the day.
- In Peru you can exchange the currency of your country to the local currency (soles). In some stores they accept dollars but in others they do not. There are automatic teller machines (ATM) where you can withdraw money.
Tips in Cusco
The city of Cusco is located at 3399 m.s.n.m. in the Peruvian Andes. The first sensation you will feel upon arriving is a slight physical discomfort due to altitude sickness or soroche. This ailment is due to atmospheric pressure in places of high altitude. Do not be afraid Let your body acclimate and drink plenty of fluids. A coca tea is a good option.
Cusco was the capital of the Inca Empire. In 1933 it was recognized as the Archaeological Capital of America. In 1983, Unesco named it a World Heritage Site. All this makes that there are many tourist attractions in the city. There are: Sacsayhuaman, Tambomachay, the Cathedral of Cuzco, Qoricancha, the Plaza de Armas, and the Stone of the 12 Angles and many other attractions to visit.
Cusco is not only Machu Picchu. It is also the Sacred Valley of the Incas. A beautiful valley of enormous importance in the time of the Incas and which currently offers many attractions to the visitor: Chinchero, Maras, Moray, Pisac, Urubamba, Ollantaytambo and the many adventure sports practiced there are some of the reasons to visit it. To enjoy a memorable adventure in Cusco, take into account the following tips:
- Use the first day in Cusco to acclimatize. Do not drink alcohol or eat high-fat foods. Rest as necessary to be with much energy in the rest of the trip.
- Try Peruvian food, considered among the best in the world.
- Meet people from all over the world including Peruvians.
- Enjoy the nightlife in Cusco but in moderation.
- On your way to Machu Picchu do not miss the opportunity to know the Sacred Valley. One of the most beautiful places you will visit, without a doubt.
Tips in Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu is located on the eastern slope of the Peruvian Andes, more than 74 kilometers from the city of Cusco. There are 3 ways to get to the Wonder of the World. The first is through the Inca Trail, a 4-day hiking trail. The second is with a train trip of 2 to 4 hours. The third is by the alternative route of Santa Teresa, making a trip by bus for 4 hours and then a 2 hour walk to the town of Aguas Calientes.
Once in the district of Machu Picchu Pueblo or Aguas Calientes, you climb a steep path to the entrance gate to the Inca Citadel. This can be done on foot or by bus. The first option takes 2 hours on average. The second, 30 minutes. Once in the entrance, you must present the entrance tickets to Machu Picchu previously reserved.
Machu Picchu offers many attractions for the visitor. The most requested is the tour of the Huayna Picchu Mountain, considered one of the most incredible short walks in the world. In addition there are the Inca stone constructions such as: the Temple of the Condor, the Temple of the Sun, the Intihuatana, etc. In order to enjoy the Wonder of the World better, the following tips should be taken into consideration:
- If you want to enter Machu Picchu by the Inca Trail, book your ticket with up to 6 months in advance.
- In the town of Aguas Calientes and at the entrance to Machu Picchu, the products cost twice the normal price. Be sure to buy water, snacks and other necessary products before arriving.
- Take advantage of your visit to the town of Aguas Calientes to relax in the thermo-medicinal baths.
- If you plan to ascend the Huayna Picchu or the Machu Picchu Mountain, take the bus to the Wonder of the World to save energy.
- The tour of Machu Picchu with a guide is mandatory. Make sure to reserve one or do it in the same entrance door.
- To Machu Picchu carry only what is necessary: water in canteen, rain poncho, sunscreen, snacks, etc. You will only be allowed to enter with a backpack of 5 kilos maximum weight.
- Entering Machu Picchu in the morning allows you to be among the first people to see the sunrise in the Inca Citadel. In the afternoon, there are fewer people and the light is ideal to take the best pictures.
- If you want to enter Machu Picchu early in the morning, spend the night in the town of Aguas Calientes.
- Respect the Inca llaqta, patrimony of the world and of all Peruvians. Do not do obscene acts or throw garbage on the floor.
Year after year, Machu Picchu is recognized as one of the best tourist destinations in the world. Today, more and more tourists want to know the Wonder of the World. Reserve the ticket and live the trip of your life.