Huayna Picchu offers incredible views and thousands of adventures for the visitor. However, ascending its vertiginous roads is the privilege of few. To know the ‘Mountain Young’ Ticket must be purchased Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu and choose one of two available groups. The first enters the mountain from 07:00 a.m. at 08:00 a.m. The second from 10:00.m. at 11:00.m. Which of the two groups to choose?
- The Huayna Picchu
- The Machu Picchu Ticket + Huayna Picchu
- Which of the two groups to choose?
- Mountain Machu Picchu, the other option
The Huayna Picchu
The Huayna Picchu is located at 2693 meters above sea level (m.s.n.m.), almost 300 meters higher than the Inca llaqta. You enter the north side of the Inca Citadel. It is known as the ‘Young Mountain’ in opposition to the Machu Picchu Mountain or ‘Old Mountain’. This mountain is home to birds, butterflies and abundant flora. In it is the Temple of the Moon, an Inca sanctuary made of stone inside a cave.
To access the highest point of the Waynapicchu you must climb its steep paths near cliffs. These consist of steps with inclinations of up to 60 ° that require both hands to hold. The adventure of climbing its difficult trails is rewarded by the privileged view at the top. From there you can take the best pictures of the Wonder of the World. The ascent of Huayna Picchu is considered one of the most incredible short walks in the world.
The Ticket Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu
The only way to enter the Huayna Picchu mountain is by booking the Ticket Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu in advance. This ticket allows daily entry to 400 people divided into two groups of 200 each. It also provides entry to the Machu Picchu Citadel. Schedule available income of the two groups is as follows:
- Ticket Huayna Picchu Group 1: Hours from 07:00 a.m. at 08:00 a.m.
You can also enter and stay at the Inca Citadel from 06:00 a.m. until 01:00 p.m.
- Ticket Huayna Picchu Group 2: Hours from 10:00 a.m. at 11:00 a.m.
You can also enter and stay at the Inca Citadel from 06:00 a.m. until 02:00 p.m.
Which of the two groups to choose?
The Ticket Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu gives the visitor enough time to travel the Waynapicchu and the Inca Citadel. There are some differences between the two schedules that must be taken into account when choosing which of the two groups to choose.
- Why choose Group 1?
The first group makes their entrance from 07:00 a.m. at 08:00 a.m. so the ascent to the Waynapicchu is done in a cooler environment without the inconveniences of the sun. You can be one of the first people to reach the top of the mountain. Although the environment may still be cloudy at that time of day, as it dissipates, the view is incredible. After descending, you can tour the Inca Citadel with enough time. It is advisable to spend the night in the town of Aguas Calientes.
- Why choose Group 2?
The second group makes their entrance from 10:00 a.m. at 11:00 a.m. so the ascent to the Waynapicchu is done in a warmer but clear environment. When you reach the top of the mountain, the sky will be clean so it is the best option to take photos for posterity. The tour of the Inca Citadel should take place in the early hours of the morning. It is not necessary to spend the night in Aguas Calientes. You can still spend the night in Cusco or the Sacred Valley and travel to Machu Picchu very early.
Mountain Machu Picchu, the other optionmountain_machu_picchu_other_option
If you did not get the Ticket Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu, the other great option is to choose to ascend the Machu Picchu Mountain. This is the ‘Old Mountain’ on which sits the Inca Citadel. It is located at 3082 m.s.m., almost 600 meters above the Inca llaqta. This summit gave the name to the Wonder of the World.
The paths of the Machu Picchu Mountain are not as steep as those of the Huayna Picchu but are longer. These consist of uneven stairs with stretches of land that are tilted up to 30 °. In its paths abound orchids, butterflies, insects and lush vegetation. The view from its peak and along its path is as sensational as the Waynapicchu. Only 800 people divided into 2 groups of 400 each can access this attraction daily with the Ticket Machu Picchu + Mountain.
- The Ticket Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu must be booked 2 months in advance. In high tourist season (from March to October), with up to 4 months in advance due to high demand.
- The Machu Picchu + Mountain Ticket allows entry to the Machu Picchu Mountain. It is recommended to buy it also with advance time, although not as much as the Waynapicchu.
- To ascend the Waynapicchu you have to be over 12 years old and not fear the heights. It is not necessary to have an excellent physical condition.
- Only one backpack with a weight of no more than 5 kilos is allowed. You should only take you need: water in water bottle, camera, hat, sunscreen, rain poncho, snacks, light clothing, etc.
- During the tour of the Huayna Picchu you should not go beyond the security lanes or try to look for roads on your own. It is important to respect safety regulations for the visitor’s own well-being.
To travel the Huayna Picchu takes an average of 3 hours. The difficulty is moderate high. Reaching the top is an unforgettable experience. It is considered one of the most incredible short walks in the world.